Saturday 4 April 2009

Milliner Lily Dache





This is milliner Lily Dache (see first photo). She was a famous French milliner (woman's hat maker) who immigrated from Paris to the US in the 1920s. She was really popular in her heyday which spaned from the 1930s to the 1960s more or less. She had two ready-to-wear lines called 'Mme Lily' and 'Dachette's'. The green hat is from the Dachette's line, I believe.

It's a shock that most, if not all milliners have been forgotten since the 1970s until today. In the past women would not consider leaving the house without some sort of hat. Now...nothing, nada, bupkis. So in my little humble way I want to pay homage to this great lady who made hats for the Hollywood greats and the little people like us(really I jest:). But here are a few photos to show her work. I could go on but it would be a whole other blog in itself. But please if you like the photos check her out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Fashion feed - latest

My Favorites